9.17.2014

Stampin' Up! Artisan Blog Hop

Welcome back to another Stampin' Up! 2014 Artisan Design Team Blog Hop! Be sure to continue the hop around the world and see what the whole team has to share!

When Nate and I were first married, I worked as a Special Ed Para and spent the day working with kids who were struggling to keep up in their mainstream classroom. The extra help in a smaller group setting worked wonders for them to advance in their math, reading, and other academics. I found that most of the kids I taught were VERY intelligent, they just didn't fit the "typical mold" and needed to learn in a different way than most. Many times I had to get very creative in my teaching methods in order to keep the kids engaged. I found that if the kids were having fun, they were more likely to learn. I made MANY folder games to encourage the kids to learn and have fun.

When Gage was diagnosed with SPD and Autism Spectrum Disorder, I thought my teaching experience would mean I would have no problems making sure Gage was keeping up in school. Hahahahaha, the jokes on me! There was only one factor I didn't consider. . . he was my own child, and we all know that our kids are MUCH better for other adults than they are for their parents, am I right?! Gage LOVES to push my buttons and test his grounds with me, and when it comes to doing his homework, um. . .  yeah. . .  he flat out refuses to do it. Of course, I can't make him do it, so I have found that I need to get creative in how we go about homework. So, back to my early years, I have resorted to try and come up with ways to make homework fun. Wha?! Homework fun?! I created this super cute and fun folder game using the Motlley Monsters DPS for Gage, and now he loves to practice his math facts!

I made the gameboard and instructions non-specific so that I can simply change out the flash cards and use it for subtraction, multiplication, or division.
Ah! How nice it is to not have to argue with my 6-year-old as to why he needs to practice math facts. . .

Let's go see what Cindy has to share with us, shall we?

http://nutmegcreations.blogspot.com/2014/09/artisan-sept-3.html

Supplies used: Epic Alphabet set; Motlley Monsters DPS; Tangelo Twist, Crushed Curry, Bermuda Bay, Whisper White, and Basic Black cardstock; Tangelo Twist, Crushed Curry, and Bermuda Bay Stampin' Write Markers; White Chalk Marker; other: file folder and dice.


 photo SITMAd-001_zps9c09c1e7.jpg
Don't miss out on Stamps in the Mail! We are heading in to round 3, but you can still sign up and receive round 1 and 2! Click on the add for more info. Plus, refer a friend and if they register for Stamps in the Mail for Round 1 Month 3 you will get $5 off your registration fee! (Be sure and email me with the friend you refer so I can keep my eye out for their registration!)

14 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness...this is as cute as can be! I bet Gage will love getting his hands on this kit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous teaching idea...and so cleverly crafted too. I just might have to steal the idea for my granddaughter. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so clever! Thank you for sharing I will be caseing this for my friend whostruggles with her grandson. he comes to her house after school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Becky, I absolutely love this game! My youngest son is 13 and he's desperate to play it! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so creative, cute, and wonderful! wish we could make all the homework that fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellente idée ! very good idea ! "well done" !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea and so creatively assembled. Love your color choices on the game - so FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in school for education. I really appreciate this! It is fantastic. Mind if I borrow the idea for my own to include in my lesson plans?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic project, how clever!

    ReplyDelete